Monday, January 5, 2009

Does Food Expire?

A pressing question to be sure.

In the center of this debate: a unopened jar of Ragú over a year old. Would you still use it? In one corner, Me. Of course I'd eat use it, the seal hasn't been broken! In the other corner, resident cynic John Skidmore, who believes "Sell By" is the same as "Use By". Oh, c'mon. That's just naive logic!

My parents seem to agree...but to a much more frieghtening extent. Unless it visibly moldly or smells like decomposing skunk, keep it. "That doesn't go bad," they say. Most of the time I'd agree, but then again, who knows what might kill you.

This past weekend, I decided to force the Patches family to confront their problem in a little adventure entitled "Expedition: Kitchen". You can see for yourself what we're dealing with. But in the end, I'd probably east most of what we'd found. Don't judge!


Expedition: Kitchen from Matthew Patches on Vimeo.

Bon Appétit

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you're worse than my family... but I agree with most of those things. Teriyaki sauce does not go out of date! If it's not visibly or odorfully evident that it's gone off, I'm eating it.

    I ate some past date eggs the other date and got an awful stomach ache. I was talking to my housemates about it and said "Yeah but eggs don't go out of date".. then they had to explain to me where the concept of rotten eggs came from.

    ReplyDelete